Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|Gary Ginstling surprisingly quits as New York Philharmonic CEO after 1 year -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Gary Ginstling surprisingly quits as New York Philharmonic CEO after 1 year
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 22:38:38
NEW YORK (AP) — Gary Ginstling surprisingly resigned as chief executive officer of the New York Philharmonic on SafeX Pro ExchangeThursday after one year on the job.
No reason was given for his departure, announced days ahead of Jaap van Zweden’s final performances as music director, at Vail, Colorado, from July 17-20. Ginstling had been with the orchestra during a tour of China that ended July 4.
“It has become clear to me that the institution needs a different type of leadership,” Ginstling said in a statement released by the orchestra.
The orchestra is about to start two years without a music director until Gustavo Dudamel starts in the 2026-27 season.
Deborah Borda, Ginstling’s predecessor, will lead the transition team along with board co-chairs Peter W. May and Oscar L. Tang. The philharmonic’s contract with local 802 of the American Federation of Musicians expires Sept. 20,
Borda was hired as the orchestra’s managing director in 1991, announced her departure in September 1999 to become president and CEO of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, then returned to the New York orchestra as CEO from 2017 until June 2023.
In April, Ginstling said he had directed the orchestra to hire Katya Jestin, co-managing partner of the law firm Jenner & Block, to investigate the philharmonic’s culture. That followed a New York Magazine article detailing misconduct allegations against two musicians in 2010. The two, who denied improper conduct, were fired in 2018, then reinstated following a 2020 decision by arbitrator Richard I. Bloch. The two musicians have not been assigned to any orchestra activities since April.
Under Ginstling, the orchestra announced a $40 million gift from Tang and his wife, Agnes Hsu-Tang, in September 2023. The orchestra had a paid capacity of 85% for concerts last season, and ticket revenue rose 6% from 2022-23.
Ginstling, 58, became executive director of Washington’s National Symphony Orchestra in 2017, then joined the New York Philharmonic as executive director in November 2022, when it was announced he would succeed Borda the following July 1.
Borda, who turns 75 on July 15, has been serving as executive adviser to Ginstling and the board. She recruited Dudamel to leave the Los Angeles Philharmonic and become music director in New York starting the 2026-27 season. She also led the fundraising for the $550 million renovation of David Geffen Hall, which reopened in October 2022.
veryGood! (92)
Related
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Colorado vs. UCF live updates: Buffaloes-Knights score, highlights, analysis and more
- Latest talks between Boeing and its striking machinists break off without progress, union says
- Rescuers save and assist hundreds as Helene’s storm surge and rain create havoc
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Billie Jean King nets another legacy honor: the Congressional Gold Medal
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ launches 50th season with Jean Smart, Jelly Roll and maybe Maya as Kamala
- Dame Maggie Smith, 'Downton Abbey' star and Professor McGonagall in 'Harry Potter,' dies at 89
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Here's how Lionel Messi, Inter Miami can win second title together as early as Wednesday
Ranking
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Chappell Roan drops out of All Things Go music festival: ‘Things have gotten overwhelming’
- Opinion: Learning signs of mental health distress may help your young athlete
- Federal government postpones sale of floating offshore wind leases along Oregon coast
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Joliet, Illinois, Plans to Source Its Future Drinking Water From Lake Michigan. Will Other Cities Follow?
- App State cancels football game against Liberty in North Carolina after Helene causes flooding
- Joe Wolf, who played for North Carolina and 7 NBA teams, dies at 59
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Chappell Roan Cancels Festival Appearances to Prioritize Her Health
Suspect killed and 2 Georgia officers wounded in shooting during suspected gun store burglary
Kentucky sign language interpreter honored in program to give special weather radios to the deaf
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
A federal judge in Texas will hear arguments over Boeing’s plea deal in a 737 Max case
George Clooney and Amal Clooney Reveal What Their Kids Think of Their Fame
A rare condor hatched and raised by foster parents in captivity will soon get to live wild